The last 2 months have been an absolute whirlwind with a 2 year old and a newborn! As much as I love my kiddos, I’d be lying if I said this season of life has been all sunshine and rainbows. It’s hard and it’s exhausting. I’m still nursing around the clock and eat most of my meals with one hand, standing up. But this season has been teaching me a lot - here are 5 things I’ve learned in 2 months with 2 kids:
- It’s chaotic and messy. Like super messy. If you have a toddler and a newborn, it’s like living in a tornado. And that tornado is swirling pee, poop, milk, crumbs, and dirt. Clutter and mess give me so much anxiety, but I’ve had to learn to turn a blind eye sometimes because it can be impossible some days to tidy up.
- I kind of know what I’m doing AND I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing at the exact same time. I’ve had a newborn before, so I know what to do. I learned a LOT the first time around, which makes the 2nd time easier in some ways. I definitely felt more prepared for a lot of newborn things. But this is also an entirely different baby and some stuff that worked for my first doesn’t work for my second! Oh..and I’m juggling my first AND my second, which I’ve obviously never done before.
- Ignore the highlight reel that is social media. I see those rockstar moms with multiple kids doing these intense crafts or Pinterest-worthy parties and it can make me feel like I’m not doing enough. There are some days I’m barely surviving, let alone trying to DIY anything! But guess what?! A newborn has no idea what DIY is. And toddlers are happy playing with rocks.
- My older kiddo needs special time. Sometimes entire days can revolve around the baby, and Mason is pretty good about loving his new little sister. But he needs attention too. One on one time makes sure he doesn’t feel forgotten or less important! And that time can be SUPER simple! Watching a movie on the couch together, going to get fro yo, going to the park…the special time doesn’t have to be complicated. It’s special because he gets alone time with mama.
- Time speeds up. At least, that’s how it feels. I feel like Mason has changed so much since Nina was born - it’s like I blinked and he’s a whole different kid! And Nina is hitting milestones that I swear she’s too young for, but then I realize how old she actually is! In all the busy chaos, time just flies. So I’m trying to be more present, take more pictures and videos, and savor the sweet moments because they’re growing up really stinkin’ fast.
Photo Credit: Katherine Beth Photography